The daily cost of a school dinner will rise to £2.50 per meal (£12.50 per week) from September 2017. The new charge has to be introduced because of changes to the way the schools across Stoke-on-Trent are funded. All meals must be paid for on Monday mornings for a full week, or on the day when your child’s year group is able to choose to have a meal.
Would parents please send money into school in a clearly marked (Name, Class, Amount and what you are paying for) envelope or purse.
If your child is in Reception or key stage 1 (Reception Daisies, Poppies, Buttercups, Bluebells, Sunflowers) they will be entitled to a free School Meal from September 2015.
If you would like more information on a healthy lunch box please click the link below.
According to advice from the Food Standards Agency, a healthy packed lunch should include:
- Meat, fish or a dairy source of protein
- Starchy carbohydrate, such as a wholegrain sandwich, to provide energy
- At least one portion each of a fruit and vegetable or salad
- Water or milk to drink, but diluted fruit juice and yogurt drinks or smoothies are acceptable
- Sweets and chocolate
- Snacks, like crisps, with added salt/sugar/fat
- Sugary and fizzy drinks
- Deep-fried foods and processed meats
- White bread – if children won’t eat brown, try whole white sliced bread
In 2008, strict nutrition content guidelines for primary schools were introduced and extended to secondary schools in September 2009.
They include maximum/minimum levels of energy or calories and 13 different nutrients, including fat, salt and sugars.
Free School Meals
Please note that all enquires are confidential. You are entitled to free school meals, for your family, if you receive:
- Income Support;
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance;
- Income-based Employment Support Allowance
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (but not if you also get Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income under £16,190; or
- if you are an asylum seeker supported by the National Asylum Support Service.
For more details you can:
- contact the school; or
- phone the Free School Meals Team on 01782 236813 (Minicom for the hearing impaired 01782 232331).
If your child is in Reception or key stage 1 (Reception Daisies, Poppies, Buttercups, Bluebells, Sunflowers) they will be entitled to a free School Meal from September 2014.