St. Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary Parents, Teachers and Friends Association Constitution
- The name of the association shall be St. Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary Parents, Teachers and Friends Association (to be known in the school as PTFA).
- The objective of the Association is to advance the education of the pupils in the school. In the furtherance of this objective the Association may:-
- run social events for parents and children
- raise funds to help the school provide “extras” for the pupils
- The Association shall be non-party political.
- Membership shall consist of parents and/or guardians of pupils attending the school, teachers and non-teaching staff, and family members of past and present pupils.
- The management of the Association shall be vested in a Committee consisting of the following Officers: – Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer and at least two other members.
- The Officers and Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and shall serve until the commencement of the next Annual General Meeting.
- Five members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum (or one third of the Committee, whichever is greater). The Committee shall have the power to co-opt a maximum of five.
- The Committee may appoint sub-committees, as it deems necessary and shall prescribe their function provided that all acts and proceedings of any such subcommittee shall be reported to the Committee as soon as possible and provided that no such subcommittee shall expend funds of the Association otherwise than in accordance with a budget agreed by the Committee.
- Committee meetings must be held at least once each term.
- The head or deputy head to be informed of all activities and dates and copies of minutes and agenda issued.
- The Annual General Meeting will be held in the Autumn term of each year. At the Annual General Meeting the chair shall be taken by the Chairman or in his/her absence by the Vice Chairman of the Committee.
- Nominations shall be proposed and seconded by members and should have the consent of the nominee. Nominations may be made at any time prior to the commencement of the Annual General Meeting.
- The Committee may fill casual vacancies by co-option until the next Annual General Meeting.
- Special General Meetings may be called at the written request of a minimum of five members.
- Fourteen days notice shall be given of any Special General Meeting to all members of the Association.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping account of all Income and Expenditure and shall present a Financial Report to all Committee meetings, and shall present the accounts for approval by the members at the Annual General Meeting.
- Bank accounts shall be operated in the name of the Association and withdrawals shall be made on the signature of any one of the Treasurer or Chair
- The financial year shall commence on 1st September
- Any matter not provided for in the Constitution and concerning the organisation and activities of the Association shall be dealt with by the Committee whose decision shall be final.
- No alteration to this Constitution may be made except at the Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting called for this purpose.
- Alterations to the Constitution shall receive the assent of two thirds of the members present and voting at an AGM or Special General Meeting.
- The Association may be dissolved by a resolution presented at a Special General Meeting called for this purpose. The resolution must have the assent of two-thirds of those present and voting. Such resolution may give instructions for the disposal of any assets remaining after satisfying any outstanding debts and liabilities. These assets shall not be distributed among the members of the Association but will be given to the school for the benefit of the children of the school, or in the event of a school closure to the school to which the majority of children of the closing school will go, in any manner which is exclusively charitable in law. If effect cannot be given to this provision then the assets can be given to some other charitable purpose.
Constitution as adopted at the AGM.
Date: 17th September 2012