The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther King JR
Don’t forget to check out our Class Dojo page to get all the latest news, updates and pictures!
We will provide lots of opportunities for writing ensuring handwriting is legible and correct punctuation and spelling is used at all times.
The House with Chicken Legs
- Narrative descriptions-Setting description
- Write the next chapter.
- Poetry imagery-City Jungle (Pie Corbett)
- Historical non-chronological reports-Chatterley Whitfield
- Formal Letters-Write a letter to Lord Mayor
- SPAG: punctuation, word class, sentence structure (clause/phrase), types of phrases (noun, preposition, adverbial), subordinate conjunction/clause, relative pronoun/relative clause
RE will be taught using the diocese curriculum 'Learning and Growing as People of God'.
- Children will learn that there are two stories of creation in the book of Genesis
- Children will understand that being created in God’s image gives us a responsibility on this world
Miracles and the Sacrament of the Sick
- Children will learn about some of the miracles of Jesus and the work of the Church in caring for and healing the sick
- Children will know about some places of pilgrimage and prayer for the sick
- This unit links the Old and New Testaments in terms of preparing for the coming of Christ
- Children will discuss the messages that proclaimed the first coming of Christ, and how they point to a second
Parables and the Sayings of Jesus
- Children will gain a greater understanding of the Parables of Jesus
- Explore the concept of the Kingdom of God and ways in which Christians respond to this teaching today through belonging to the Church.
Please note: we will also be covering Sacramental Preparation for those who will be receiving the Sacrament of First Holy Communion
Maths will be taught from the White Rose Scheme of Work
- Number and Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction with four-digit numbers
- Statistics – line graphs and two-way tables
- Multiplication and division – factors, prime, square and cube numbers
- Perimeter and Area – irregular shapes
Properties of Materials
Children will be able to -
- Know how to group everyday materials based on properties such as solubility, transparency, conductivity, and magnetism
- Suggest suitable materials for functions such as food prep surfaces, sound proofing or drinks bottles.
- Compare properties such as absorbency, strength and durability.
- Know the difference between electrical and thermal conductivity
Changes of Materials
- Know what is meant by reversible and irreversible changes, and give examples
- Know that some materials will dissolve in liquid to form a solution, and how to recover a substance from a solution
- Know how to separate mixtures through filtering, sieving, and evaporating
Chatterley Whitfield and the History of Mining – How are several aspects of local history reflected in this locality?
Children will -
- Know about a period of history that has strong connections to their locality and understand the issues associated with the period.
- Know how the lives of wealthy people were different from the lives of poorer people during this time.
- Understand how mining contributes to the history of Stoke-on-Trent
- Listen to interviews with miners about their working life in the Chatterley Whitfield Colliery
- Research and create a report based on a key aspect of coal mining
Are Climates and Biomes connected?
Children will -
- Know what is meant by biomes and what the features of a specific biome are
- Understand what is meant by a climate zone and know what climate zone we live in, in the UK
- Know how to use graphs to record features such as temperature or rainfall across the world
- Understand how human activity affects climate and Climate Change
- Music continues to be taught by Mr B.
Y5 children will begin to learn to play the ukulele!
We will be using computers to access Purple Mash software so that children can download and upload work. We will also introduce children to using Emails and Microsoft TEAMS.
French will be taught by a specialist teacher from St Margaret Ward Academy
- Health-related Exercise
Focus on line, colour, and form. Children will re-visit shades and tones, and explore how colour choice affects atmosphere and light effects of a piece through printing and drawing.
Design and Technology
Who will win the Great Year 5 bread bake off?
Through our bread-baking journey, children will:
- Know how to be hygienic and safe in the kitchen
- Know how to prepare a meal by collecting ingredients
- Know which season various foods are available for harvesting
Being Me in My World
- Children will learn about their rights and responsibilities as British citizens
- Children will understand democracy and relate it to their voice in school
- Children will understand how the actions of an individual can impact on a group
- Children will understand that cultural differences sometimes cause conflict, and understand what racism is
- Be aware how rumour-spreading and name-calling can be bullying behaviours
- Be able to explain the difference between direct and indirect bullying
- Be able to compare their life with people in the developing world.
- Enjoy the experience of a culture other than our own