One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”
- Malala Yousafzai
Welcome to Year 5
Miss Porter and Mrs Lee
Anglo Saxon Boy
Narrative descriptions -Setting description
Narrative –.Write a short story
Recounts – Informal letter home
Non chronological reports– Biomes and Climate
Narrative: Write a play script (news report) based on The Battle of Hastings
- Number and Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction with four-digit numbers
- Statistics – line graphs and two-way tables
- Multiplication and division – factors, prime, square and cube numbers.
- Perimeter and Area – irregular shapes
- Children will learn that there are two stories of creation in the book of Genesis
- Children will understand that being created in God’s image gives us a responsibility on this world
Miracles and the Sacrament of the Sick
- Children will learn about some of the miracles of Jesus and the work of the Church in caring for and healing the sick
- Children will know about some places of pilgrimage and prayer for the sick
- This unit links the Old and New Testaments in terms of preparing for the coming of Christ
- Children will discuss the messages that proclaimed the first coming of Christ, and how they point to a second
Parables and the Sayings of Jesus
- Children will gain a greater understanding of the Parables of Jesus
- Explore the concept of the Kingdom of God and ways in which Christians respond to this teaching today through belonging to the Church.
Properties of Materials
- Know how to group everyday materials based on properties such as solubility, transparency, conductivity, and magnetism
- Suggest suitable materials for functions such as food prep surfaces, sound proofing or drinks bottles.
- Compare properties such as absorbency, strength and durability.
- Know the difference between electrical and thermal conductivity
Changes of Materials
- Know what is meant by reversible and irreversible changes, and give examples
- Know that some materials will dissolve in liquid to form a solution, and how to recover a substance from a solution
- Know how to separate mixtures through filtering, sieving, and evaporating
How did Britain change between the end of the Roman occupation and 1066?
Children will –
- Know about how the Anglo-Saxons attempted to bring about law and order into the country, and research crime and punishment.
- Know that during the Anglo-Saxon period Britain was divided into many kingdoms
- Use a timeline to show when the Anglo-Saxons were in England.
- Know about the significance of Sutton Hoo
Are Climates and Biomes connected?
Children will –
- Know what is meant by biomes and what the features of a specific biome are
- Understand what is meant by a climate zone and know what climate zone we live in, in the UK
- Know how to use graphs to record features such as temperature or rainfall across the world
- Understand how human activity affects climate and Climate Change