One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”
- Malala Yousafzai
Welcome to Year 5
Miss Porter and Mrs Lee
- Narrative descriptions-Setting description
- Write the next chapter.
- Poetry imagery-City Jungle (Pie Corbett)
- Historical non-chronological reports-Chatterley Whitfield
- Formal Letters-Write a letter to Lord Mayor
- SPAG: punctuation, word class, sentence structure (clause/phrase), types of phrases (noun, preposition, adverbial), subordinate conjunction/clause, relative pronoun/relative clause
- Number and Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction with four-digit numbers
- Statistics – line graphs and two-way tables
- Multiplication and division – factors, prime, square and cube numbers.
- Perimeter and Area – irregular shapes
- Children will learn that there are two stories of creation in the book of Genesis
- Children will understand that being created in God’s image gives us a responsibility on this world
Miracles and the Sacrament of the Sick
- Children will learn about some of the miracles of Jesus and the work of the Church in caring for and healing the sick
- Children will know about some places of pilgrimage and prayer for the sick
- This unit links the Old and New Testaments in terms of preparing for the coming of Christ
- Children will discuss the messages that proclaimed the first coming of Christ, and how they point to a second
Parables and the Sayings of Jesus
- Children will gain a greater understanding of the Parables of Jesus
- Explore the concept of the Kingdom of God and ways in which Christians respond to this teaching today through belonging to the Church.
Properties of Materials
- Know how to group everyday materials based on properties such as solubility, transparency, conductivity, and magnetism
- Suggest suitable materials for functions such as food prep surfaces, sound proofing or drinks bottles.
- Compare properties such as absorbency, strength and durability.
- Know the difference between electrical and thermal conductivity
Changes of Materials
- Know what is meant by reversible and irreversible changes, and give examples
- Know that some materials will dissolve in liquid to form a solution, and how to recover a substance from a solution
- Know how to separate mixtures through filtering, sieving, and evaporating
Chatterley Whitfield and the History of Mining – How are several aspects of local history reflected in this locality?
- Know about a period of history that has strong connections to their locality and understand the issues associated with the period.
- Know how the lives of wealthy people were different from the lives of poorer people during this time.
- Understand how mining contributes to the history of Stoke-on-Trent
- Listen to interviews with miners about their working life in the Chatterley Whitfield Colliery
- Research and create a report based on a key aspect of coal mining
Are Climates and Biomes connected?
Children will –
- Know what is meant by biomes and what the features of a specific biome are
- Understand what is meant by a climate zone and know what climate zone we live in, in the UK
- Know how to use graphs to record features such as temperature or rainfall across the world
- Understand how human activity affects climate and Climate Change